Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Backwards And Forwards

When I was a kid, Christmas was a magical time; a day of gifts and candy, sugar highs, with the occasional underpants gift low. Our family never had much, but we always made out okay in the presents department (except for one ghastly year where lies about what we got became the order of the day). My 2 personal favorites were a black and white tv, cleverly hidden under my nose as the box was wrapped and used as a stand for our little tree. The other was my first bike, a Raleigh Chopper, that took me out of the safety of my street and away on adventures to the furthest reaches of my town (a 5 minute ride, tops).

Look at the size of my chopper
That bike, as well as one of my favorite childhood haunts, became the basis of a story I wrote recently (The Tweener), and while writing it brought back a lot of happy memories, a lot of which were centered around Christmas. You see, my love of the holidays disappeared and turned to hatred during my retail working years where, in the mall at least, Christmas came early. I worked in a music store and we were forced to play xmas music, non-stop, the moment Halloween ended. You can only hear Kenny and Dolly so many times before something irreparably snaps in your brain.
A little of that childhood joy returned when I had kids of my own, and it has almost come back full bore with the little Christmas tradition we have adopted. Each and every year, since its DVD release, we settle down, popcorn and soda, candy canes and maple syrup in hand, and we watch, "Elf".


 
Tonight is our night. As soon as Penny gets home from work, we will grab hold of a little Christmas magic and then we will head to bed with smiles on our faces and our bellies full of candy treats.......and if Penny is lucky, maybe I'll show her my Chopper
.







0 comments:

Post a Comment