Tuesday, December 28, 2010

It's Now Or Never

A few short months ago, while posting to AllVoices, I decided that a daily top 10 list I wrote for that site would make a good book. The idea was a product of equal parts inspiration and ego. It was a creative, fun thing to do on a daily basis, and the popularity of the list made it seem like a sure fire hit. The decision was made, come January 1st, I would write the top 10 every day for a year and self-publish. Well, that day is almost here, and I am somewhat overwhelmed by the idea of committing to a project on that scale.
Let me backpedal a bit here. I am a certified procrastinator, especially when it comes to writing. I have a head full of fully fleshed out ideas that may never see the light of day (I'll outline a few for tomorrow's post). I also found it odd, and a little pretentious, when writer's would talk about, "finding their voice", but it is real. The top 10 list, as I wrote it, is a sarcastic, sometimes bristling piece of work, and it became easy to crank out over time. Now that I have skipped a few weeks, it has become difficult to get that voice back.
So, what to do? What to do?

I feel that I am at a crossroads as it pertains to writing. Do I actually commit to something and write every day, actually finishing a project, or do I continue to do what I do....write sporadically and get published every 3 years? I choose to write, I have the template and ISBN barcode already set up at Lulu.com, so starting Jan 1st (hangover be damned) I am writing every day. Perhaps I will post a weekly BEST OF THE 10 here every Sunday or so.
Wish me luck, I'll need it.

2 comments:

Jeffrey Miller said...

Good for you John!

Penny said...

you can do it, Babe!

Post a Comment