Sunday, January 30, 2011

The Devil Made Me Do It

Despite the title of this blog, I just liked the sound of it in all honesty, I don't consider myself to be a writer. I am someone who writes, perhaps moderately well, but I rarely submit my fiction, don't write every day, and barely ever see an idea or story to completion. A real writer would never do that, I am positive of that.

It will come as no major surprise then to hear that I have abandoned the top 10 project I was working on, but not for any of the reasons listed above. It all boils down to passion, and I simply didn't have the necessary heart to see the book through to completion. There were some nice, funny little moments in there, but at the end of the day it is not the type of writing that excites me. Fiction is where it's at for me, and while watching Devil (that movie with the folks trapped in an elevator) I was reminded of a story I had written a long time ago. I dug around in my computer files and came across, not only that one, but a small horde of short shorts and unfinished ideas......discovering those DID excite me.

And so the decision became very easy, to scrap the top 10 and start working on beefing up those tales as well as touching up a bunch of finished ones that I really like. The plan will be to self publish those as a collection of shorts that I hope to complete in a 3-6 month period. The creative juices are flowing again and it feels good. I just spent a half hour car ride beefing up characters and developing ideas in my head, all neatly filed away until I need to pull them out. My mind works in strange little ways when it comes to writing. Watch this space for updates and more details.

Oh, the top 10 idea will not be totally abandoned, instead I will post here when the mood strikes me. It will not be in a top 10 format, but I will still pull from Yahoo's searches and just write a roundup of the days events in a hopefully humorous fashion........enough chatter, time to get to work.

0 comments:

Post a Comment