Monday, January 3, 2011

Movies Of The Mind

Writing is a very visual experience for me. I can clearly see the images in my mind, long before the words leave my head and flow to my fingertips. The problem with that method is that, sometimes, things you have seen before become part of the process. It's impossible to entirely block out a lifetime of visual imagery and come up with something completely unique. All you can do, in my humble opinion, is try to improve upon the image and create a new spin on the old and tired.

I've often toyed with the idea of learning the art of screenwriting, but it seems like a medium that embraces familiarity. There are so many movies that are complete knock-offs of what has come before, that it almost becomes a game, while watching, to try and piece together all the previous movies that the ideas have been borrowed from. Is that the fault of the writers or the moviemakers? Tough to say, but I would guess there is a fair bit of collusion there.

For me, the best movie of 2010 was, Inception. It certainly seemed original, but a lot of the imagery in the dream sequences were very Matrix-like, and the story of entering other peoples dreams to influence them had been seen before in film like, The Cell and Dreamscape. But, like I said before, Inception was done in a way that topped the images it mimicked. Perhaps that is the best we can hope for.

0 comments:

Post a Comment