Saturday, March 26, 2011

The Friday Chef

When it comes to food, I have always been a man of very simple tastes. Meat and potatoes with absolutely no sign of anything green on my plate have been the order of the day. So you can only imagine the frustration that my wife Penny, an executive chef, must go through on a daily basis. My finickiness, as well as that of my kids, has stifled the creative foodie nature that my poor spouse has spent years cultivating.

With that in mind we decided to create a challenge for her that we would run every Friday. The idea was that the kids and I would choose a food item each, preferably one that we didn't really care for, with Pen being given the challenge to make a dish that we would all enjoy. Week 1 went off yesterday, with celery, corn and garlic as the chosen ingredients. Celery, a food item that I cannot be in the same room as, was my choice and I had serious doubts, not with Penny's ability, that the distinct flavor could be quashed. How wrong I was!! The dish she came up with, seared chicken breast in a white wine sauce, with a side of rice pilaf, was amazing. Below is a pic of the finished meal......

Bellies full and hearts happy, it's time to move on to week 2. The main ingredients have yet to be decided, but if you want to follow along, you can do so by checking out Penny's blog, Fridays With Chef.

0 comments:

Post a Comment