Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Dead Paradise

Ever since I was a wee boy, I have always had a morbid fascination with ghost and ghouls and things that go bump in the night. A good chunk of my formative years were spent in front of a TV watching classic horror movies with my mum. Christopher Lee, Peter Cushing, and Vincent Price were the actors I held most dear, but as much as I reveled in those old flicks, the idea that spooks really existed was something quite beyond my belief.

That all changed in my early 20's while living up in Calgary, Canada. I had taken up residence in the basement suite of my mum's friend, and very shortly after moving in, the weirdness began. It started off simply enough; books falling off the shelf untouched, my clock radio changing station in the middle of the night, disembodied voices and cold spots. My rational mind chalked it up to a combination of natural events and alcohol. All rationality went out the window when a full bodied apparition walked up my hallway and through a wall in plain sight of myself and 2 friends. The activity ramped up from that point on, with more than one visitor spying my roommate that paid no rent.....time to move.

The time in that house really peaked my interest in the paranormal, and I devoured books and info on the subject, and even dabbled in a little ghost hunting, all in the hopes of having another great spectral moment. It's been 20 years since that event, but it would appear that I am in now in another little Casper hotspot. The activity in our place now comes and goes in little waves. A couple of weeks of heavy activity followed by months of nothing. It started with a girl, judging by the sound of her voice as she whispered, "I want you to hurt her", in my ear (I kid you not). She likes our bedroom closet, and lets us know by opening the door during the night and slamming all the other doors on the 2nd floor. She has recently been joined, by recently I mean the past 2 weeks, by a large, very shadowy man that also sticks to our bedroom. Yesterday marked a high point in the "hauntings" as our 2 houseguests stomped around upstairs for a solid half hour. If you think I was going to go check on the sounds, then I am afraid you have me mistaken for someone with a big pair of balls.

I think that this weekend I will dig out all my old gear and set up my digital recorder in the room. Anything captured will be posted here, lest the skeptical among you think I have lost my marbles......stay tuned.

1 comments:

C.E. Hart said...

Wow! This is incredible. I am anxious to see if you 'caught anything on tape'. I've always found this kind of thing fascinating.

I found your blog in the discussion board on networked blogs and following there as well as on goodgle connect. I'd be delighted to have you visit/follow my new author blog. http://cehart.blogspot.com
I also have a multi-authored writing blog at:
http://www.wenchwriters.blogspot.com

Happy Writing!
Hope all goes well with the digital recorder this weekend.

Post a Comment