Thursday, April 14, 2011

The Mafia Gets Whacked

I am normally the type of person who is quick to embrace new technology and web innovations, but, I must confess, I was one of the last one's on board when the social networking boom hit. I am not that social in real life, so the prospect of having all of my "friends" know what I am eating for breakfast, or how "epic" my trip to the mall was, seemed somehow distasteful.

What changed everything for me, was the ability to keep up with the obscure bands I follow, simply by liking them on Facebook. As cool as that was, there had to be a way to kill the time between each of their posts. The answer was games. Before I knew it I was a city building, Mafia henchman with a penchant for farming. I became somewhat hooked on these trivial little games that involved very little but time and the occasional begging for a plank of wood to build my mansion. Time though became the reason I grew tired, as the need to build a Mafia, plant strawberries etc, took me away from writing and eating regularly.

It would appear that I am not alone in my flight from these types of games as Zynga, the maker of FB's most popular pastimes, has experienced a dramatic drop in player numbers in the past year. There are a number of theories as to why this is happening, but it poses a problem for FB as it relies heavily on these types of apps for its income.

I understand my reasons for giving up on them all, but for a clearer look at the numbers, as well as a poll that invites users to vote on their annoyances, you should all read this great article at The Facebook And Zynga Blog by clicking http://fbzyngablog.wordpress.com/2011/04/09/the-players-have-spoken-the-numbers-dont-lie-plus-a-mafia-wars-poll/

0 comments:

Post a Comment