Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Socially Awkward

It turns out that this whole blogging exercise had reached the level of complete distraction. Let me explain; it has been my intention to build a following of sorts, a little social club of folks who would read my stories and thoughts and, when the time came, snap up my fiction pieces in the hundred and thousands, making my dream of writing full-time a reality. The true reality is that I am actually further from that dream than I ever was.

I could easily throw the blame at social networks like Facebook and Twitter (especially that bastard, 1 lifetime click from that waste of space), but the fact is, I spend so much time trying to garner support and a following that I have stopped doing what it was I loved in the first place, writing short, creative fiction. It is easy to become obsessed by your site stats and completely lose sight of  your goals. It is far more difficult to think up stuff, usually trivial daily nonsense, to post in this blog than it is to sit down, let the mind loose and the fingers fly, and create something that is of actual interest.

Even worse, my consumption with creating a groundswell of eager readers means that I actually have to be social, something that does not come naturally to me. I am far more comfortable hidden behind my laptop, tapping out words that are far more coherent than anything I could ever say out loud.

I am not going to stop blogging, I love the daily writing, even if it's not what I set out to scribble. I am going to try and focus less on the site promotion. I do see a steady stream of returning visitors in my stats, some from as far afield as France, and I have found a nice little tool in Networked Blogs which has quickly upped my number of QUALITY followers, whilst also allowing me to find similar blogs that are of interest to me. For now though, it's back to some real writing, and hopefully a new piece of fiction today.

2 comments:

Ben said...

That's the spirit, don't give up on what you do! The rest will follow if you stick to your guns! I look forward to reading your work!

Saylor said...

I certainly relate to the frustration that you are feeling. It brings a vision to my head of playing the piano and enjoying the melody and the beauty of expression -- then someone comes up and asks you to play for them. The focus shifts from the enjoyment of the music to pleasing the listener. It is a difficult balance.

I love to write, and the blog is a good anchor but I would pull my hair out if I felt like I had to post every day. I don't think of my blog as a journal - but a work in progress. I only post when I have something to say, and that way I don't feel like a slave to it.

Also, I look for fellow writers -- and I have no interest in it as commercial venture. It is a great way to network with other writers with common interests.... like you!

I will continue to follow, and comment - you don't just want to tally-up followers that don't really read your blog. I guess that I'm saying that staying "real" helps. I certainly get your frustration and I have felt the same thing.

Cheers fellow writer!
Sally

Post a Comment