Wednesday, April 27, 2011

The Wizard Of ATL

I should have recognized the signs; the multiple storm warnings, coupled with the free pair of bright red house slippers I received in my Avon gift basket. I am Dorothy and my little border collie, Suzy, will be, from this point forward, known as Toto. Yes folks, the Atlanta weather is once more refusing to behave and we are on the brink of being hit by, not one, but three storms in the coming hours. There are tornado warnings popping up left, right , and center, and the clouds are currently blacker than a silverbacks bollocks.

To get a real idea of the extent of this storm though, you only have to switch to any of the local TV channels here in the Metro Atlanta area. All of them have their entire meteorological staff in the studio, taking shifts mind you, and all the weathermen have their suit jackets off, ties loosened, and sleeves rolled up. It's almost as if they want us to believe that they hefted their sophisticated Doppler radar gear up several flights of stairs, and onto the roof of the station all on their own. They certainly do a magnificent job of making a simple weather system sound like the end of days.

Perhaps they are right though, and by mornings bright light, I may find myself safely tucked up in bed, albeit in the Wal-Mart parking lot, half a mile up the road. I've lived through enough of these storms to realize that most of the TV sensationalism is just that, and I will sleep just fine, that is until the tornado sirens go off, then I'll be tapping those red slippers together, yelling, "there's no place like an interior, unwindowed room in the the lowest level of my home.....there's no place like an interior, unwindowed room in the the lowest level of my home.....there's no place like an interior, unwindowed room in the the lowest level of my home.....there's no place like an interior, unwindowed room in the the lowest level of my home....."

2 comments:

Clare and Gary said...

Keep Toto safe.. keep your heads down.. it's a big one

C.E. Hart said...

I'm from the Atl metro area too. Wow-what a night. 16 Georgia counties are declared disaster areas.

The southern storms have killed over 200 people. What a devastating system. I hope you and Toto are well.

Post a Comment