Thursday, May 24, 2012

A Family Divided

There is nothing more important in this world than family, but where I come from, soccer runs a pretty close second. The two worlds collide this weekend when I travel down to Jacksonville, FL for the US vs. Scotland soccer friendly.

I may have been gone from my homeland for 25 years, but that doesn't mean that my heart doesn't beat a little faster when the bagpipes start to play and the Tartan Army sings in full voice. I can't wait for the game, and it's made all the better by the fact that my wife and kids are coming along to join in the fun. My kids have already pledged allegiance to the flag of Scotland (even though they were born in Canada and have spent the past 8 years in the US). That means that my poor wife is going to be wedged between me and her beloved step-kids, not to mention a bunch of hairy highlanders with all sorts of nasty items peeking out from below their kilts.



To her credit, she has her US jersey ready to go and is more than prepared to unleash her fiery, redheaded temper on anyone who dares question her country.....myself included. For my part, I have the kilt ready to go and can't wait for the action to begin. But more than that, I can't wait to get away with the family for a few days, even if it does mean one of us may have to make the trip home tied to the roof rack...fingers crossed for a tie game.

0 comments:

Post a Comment