Wednesday, May 9, 2012

The Price Of Procratination

I have always said that story ideas can be shared by many, and that some calls of plagiarism or intellectual theft are sometimes just a case of great minds thinking alike. Of course, there are cases where entire chunks of text have been copied, but that's something entirely different.

You can't really copyright an idea until it has been put down on paper, otherwise I might have a nice little lawsuit on my hands. I have story ideas flit in and out of my head all the time. Some find their way out, while others bounce around until I fine tune them for writing. One such idea sprung up a few years back, with the working title "The Ghosts Of Chernobyl." The idea came from watching a documentary about urban exploring called "Urban Explorers: Into The Darkness."

It's a very cool look at modern day adventurers who explore abandoned building and hidden parts of the city that most never get to see. That got my mind whirring and wondering how it would go if they were dropped in Chernobyl, with wackiness ensuing of course. The idea bounced around. A few scenes came to life in my mind, but I never put anything down on paper and eventually set it aside for the moment. A couple of years passed and then I see this:

It bears a striking resemblance to what is in my head, but unless Oren Peli (Paranormal Activity) has somehow bugged my subconscious, it's just a case of mind's thinking alike. Who knows, perhaps Mr. Peli saw that same documentary and had the same idea as myself. Whatever the case, even if I had it written down with scenes that came close to being the same, how could I ever claim plagiarism if no-one saw it but me?

The lesson here is that I really have to get my act together and start writing this stuff down. I've always dreamed of penning a Hollywood horror flick,,and it seems that my ideas aren't as wacky as I might have thought.

0 comments:

Post a Comment