Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Crushing Disappointment

I have had to take numerous lingering glances at the calendar today, just to remind myself that it's NOT a Monday. To say that this day has been a lost cause to this point is putting it mildly. Rather than driving you all to drink with the minutiae of the morning, let me tell you what it is that has really put me in the foulest of moods.

As I'm sure most of you know by now, professional basketball player Jason Collins became the first active male professional sports player to admit that he was gay. It was an incredibly brave move that should be openly applauded, and I have to admit that the outpouring of support in the wake of the announcement has been fantastic. That all turned to complete shit this morning as I was stuck on I-85 taking my wife to the airport. We had the morning sports show on the radio, and it didn't take long for the calls to start coming in.

"......if more atheletes come out, think of the expense placed on teams that will need to build separate locker rooms......"

".....the majority of the gay community has AIDS, what if they get cut on the field......"

".....i don't want to hear about this guys bad choices......."

Those were just a few of the gems that I heard through the red rage that was slowly bubbling up inside. The level of hatred and misinformation is absolutely stunning to me. I have had a number of different gay friends during the course of my life and can safely say that I have never been concerned that one might try to come on to me at any given time, have not contracted Aids by hanging out with them, and am well aware that their sexuality was not a matter of choice.

Yes, we as a society have come a long way in accepting out gay brothers and sisters, but it seems there is still quite a bit of work to be done.

0 comments:

Post a Comment