Friday, May 10, 2013

More Questions Answered


 I wrote a post yesterday about the questions I am frequently asked about writing. Much to my delight, I have had one of my favorite writers, Mr. Drew Brown, pose another couple of great questions. Let's get to them:

1) Do you have set routines to your writing? Like a particular time of day, or do you have silence or music in the background. What goes on around you as you write?




I really have no writing routine at all, mostly because of the work my wife does. She is a regional chef and is usually on the road and away from home Monday to Friday. I keep all kinds of odd hours during that time, which means I might be writing a wonderful piece about ass boil lancing at 3 in the morning, with nothing but the scent of brewing coffee to keep me company.
I will have the TV on if there is a show on that I follow, which are very few, or of there is a big soccer game on. Other than that, there is usually music going on in the background. Oddly enough, I am able to listen and hum or sing along while I write. Not sure how I do it, but it's yet another of those things that I don't question. Now, when I write fiction, I often use music to fit the mood of what I am writing. Dark, violent scenes are usually accompanied by an industrial music background, whereas emotionally charged scenes have something a little more fitting.
I have the opening of a story called "The Hanging Tree" ready to leave my head and hit paper, and when I put it up here, I will also attach the music I used to help me write the very emotional opening scene. I have some personal moments that I can pull from for that, but I end up feeling as though I am picking at a nasty scab if I go that route.
  
2) In your fiction, do you ever censor yourself? Are there topics/issues you are unwilling to commit to paper?
No. There have been some things that I have definitely questioned, usually involving children, in my stories, but if I censor myself, the emotional jolt of shock that I felt when the idea came to mind will then be removed from the story, making it a little too vanilla for my own personal tastes. I am not easily offended in real life, and I think that somewhat translates to my writing. I have yet to dream up something appalling enough that I would be afraid to commit to paper.

My thanks to Drew for asking those questions, and I encourage you all to check out his amazing zombie novel "Last Hope." I guarantee it is unlike any zombie tale you have heard before.

0 comments:

Post a Comment