Thursday, October 24, 2013

NaNoWriMo With a Side of Bangers & Mash

As the calendar on the wall becomes a little thinner and the month of November draws ever nearer, I begin to harbor thoughts of the approaching National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo). This same routine has played out for as long as I can remember, but I always seem to find a way to wriggle off the writing hook and cop out of participating.

That is all about to change this year as I am stating my intention to go after the 50,000 word mark that needs to be achieved during the course of the month. It will be a tough task, especially as I look at the amount of writing work and deadlines that are currently piled up on my desk. The desire to use that as an excuse is strong, but I cemented my entry by declaring to my wife that I was going to do it.

This is something that goes way beyond the promises made on our wedding day, and has more to do with making her happy. Promises are important, but not as much as seeing that what you do makes the person you love so very much proud of you. My wife is my biggest supporter when it comes to writing, but also my biggest critic. She refuses to blow smoke up my perfectly sculpted ass, choosing instead to point out flaws or flights of fancy that simply don't fit in the narrative being created.

I was talking to her the other day about not being able to write for myself as much as I would like, to which she responded, in her usual style, that I should make the time to do it, but only if I was going to step out of what I do relatively well and try something different. That means ditching the short, flash fiction style of writing that I love and heading into the deeper waters of a fully fleshed out novel. The fact that she knows I have a couple floating around in my head made the statement hit home pretty hard.

With all of that said, I will be dusting off a story that I started a couple of years back called Bangers & Mash. It's basically the tale of a pair of supernatural detectives who inhabit the English countryside along the ley lines. The story is pulled from parts of little tales I would tell my kids at bedtime when they were little. I have a ton of weird little characters from that time, a couple of which will make it into this book.

I will be adding a little widget to the site that will show my current word count, but if you want a closer look at what's going on, be sure to follow the Bangers & Mash Facebook page. Oh, and wish me luck!!

0 comments:

Post a Comment