Tuesday, November 19, 2013

NaNo Update And Book Cover

We are now officially beyond the halfway point of National Novel Writing Month, and I have to confess that a little bit of panic has crept in. I have just crossed the halfway point - 25,000 words - of the expected total word count, but it came 4 days after it should have.

I always knew that not being able to get done on time, especially given my daily writing workload, but I was determined not to fail at the first time of asking. This made me assess what failure would actually mean in this specific scenario. Assuming I don't hit the magical 50,000 mark by the time the clock strikes Midnight on the last day of the month, will it means that the story will stop and be cast aside? No, it does not.

I have had this little tale bouncing around in my head for about 3 years, and can now see the light at the end of the tunnel. If it means that I come out of that tunnel a few days behind schedule, then so be it. THIS THING IS GETTING FINISHED!!

I have even taken the step of having the cover designed, which was actually a very painless process, as well as being one that fit into my non-existent budget. The finished result is proudly displayed up top, and it has actually contributed to my excitement level.

I want to take this time to thank everyone who has offered words of encouragement and support, especially my incredible wife who has had to sit and listen to me ramble about tiny plot details while she is just trying to relax and have a little quiet time.

I may only be halfway home, but the boys will be here soon....oh, and the inimitable Miss Raven Loonie, too.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I came to this blog because I was checking out your writing style before purchasing your Fiverr gig. I tried the other website you listed in your Fiverr gig - http://www.writerjohnwatson.com and found that it isn't a real website, just a landing page. Strike one.
I then came to this site. I found two grammatical or sentence structure errors in the 2nd paragraph I read.

"I always knew that not being able to get done on time, especially given my daily writing workload, but I was determined not to fail at the first time of asking." - This sentence doesn't make sense. Something is missing.

Then, "will it means that the story will stop and be cast aside? No, it does not." Pretty sure that should be 'will it mean'.

Sure, two errors that are pretty simple, but clearly errors, all the same.
Not what I'd expect from a writer. I think I'll try someone else on Fiverr.

I don't mean to criticize, but if you're going to point potential Fiverr shoppers to your personal websites, you should make sure they do a better job of showing your writing skills.

J. Watson said...

You don't mean to criticize, yet you do. This blog is my place to vent and steer away a little from the rigors of everyday writing. The stuff that I do on Fiverr, while allowing me to write for a living, is a grind for the most part. I get to write about topics that are of no interest to me, but am happy to do so in order to live my dream.
That i show this blog as an example of my writing and fail to spell check and pay attention to grammar as I should is indeed an oversight that is unprofessional. Do I apologize for that? Hell, no.
I think if you check my feedback on Fiverr you'll see that my professional side shines through when it needs to. I', sorry you don't see that, and I wish you the bet on finding a writer there that can fit your obviously rich tastes on a paupers budget.

J. Watson said...

Damn!! I missed the "m" on I'm....ruined the whole comeback!!

Post a Comment